Monday, April 25, 2011

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Whitni, Hilary, and myself

Well my best friend Whitni was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in December. I was in shock, in denial, and just angry. I don't think I have ever cried so much in my life. I didn't understand why Heavenly father would give this to her. She started chemo right away and I was able to spend a few days with her up at the Huntsman Cancer Center. Her prognosis was not good. She has one of the most rare cancers and was not really given much hope of fighting it.

I had spring break last week and went down to St. George to spend time with her. It was so much fun. We spent a lot of time in bed because she didn't feel well, we got to hang out with her cute niece and nephews, we went swimming in her grandmas pool, and we went fishing at Lake Powell. I had never been to Powell so that was awesome. So pretty! It doesn't matter what we do when we are together, we always seem to have a good time. That is what I love about our friendship. We are both pretty chill and we both look at things in life the same way.

In February, I also got to go down to a private concert that Hilary Weeks did for Whit. It was AMAZING. Her music is just so inspiring and touching. It was a night full of gratitude, full of testimonies, and full of the love of Christ. Whit shared a story about getting a blessing from Elder Holland. One thing specific that he said is that she will be healed. May not be here on earth, but she will be healed.

I still have a really hard time, thinking about what the future will bring. Whit is my HERO! She is truly one remarkable person. I don't think I will ever understand why heavenly father would give Whit cancer that she cannot beat. Don't get me wrong I have hope and I know that he will cure her if it is his will.

Bad things happen, and in the words of Whitni, "you can either laugh or cry about it." She is as positive as you could be in this situation. I love her dearly and am so thankful for her, I know she was put in my life for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment