Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Adventure #1

June 5-10, 2012: I was so ready for summer this year. My students were driving me crazy and I needed a break. There is a reason teachers get three months off, because if we didn't there would be no teachers to teach.  Well my first adventure was to venture down to Roswell, NM to spend some time with my friend Jared. One of my best friends at school, Jashley Wiberg, was moving to Albuquerque for the summer and she didn't want to make the drive by herself so I told her I would hop in for the ride. It was a great roadtrip down. We only stopped a few times to use the restroom which was impressive since she is pregnant. Another girl ended up driving down with us as well. We got to Albuquerque and Jashley and her husband Brock took me to get my rental car. This was the first time I had rented a car and I was a little nervous. I just have to say that I am going to miss Jashley a lot. She was a great coworker but most importantly was a great friend and always listened to and gave me advice on the things going on in my life. Well I drove the rest of the way down to Roswell that night and I hit a huge swarm of bugs. My car was covered in guts. It was so disgusting. I got to spend a week down with my best friend. He worked most of the week that I was there but we had a great time. We went to the movies, the alien museum, out to the bird place (haha, I dont know what it is called), and walked the dogs. The saturday that I was down there we drove out to Ruidoso, which is a cute little mountain town west of Roswell. There was a huge fire at the ski resort by the town so all the atm's and credit machines were out of service, so we didn't have money to buy anything which was a bummer. I had enough cash that we hit up lunch at an irish pub. I loved it because I have gotten into keltic music recently. After we had lunch we headed down to Alamogordo to the White sands national monument. There were white sand dunes everywhere and it was really cool to see. We rented a sled and slid down some hills. It was hot but we still had a blast playing out in the white sand. While on our way back to Roswell we got a flat tire on my rental car. The good man that Jared is, put on the spare to get us to the Walmart.  That was quite the adventure in and of itself. I flew back home from albuquerque the next day. It was a great trip and a great way to start my summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment